Ministers gave their approval last week to a new byelaw which states that all Wye-caught salmon must be returned.
The Wye & Usk Foundation is also reminding anglers of the guidelines for catch & release:
- Play the fish quickly – this means having the appropriate gear
- Don’t lift it out of the water at any time
- A net helps to do this but keep the fish calm while unhooking it
- Used debarbed or barbless hooks
- If the hook is deeply embedded, do not attempt surgery – cut the cast and leave it in situ
- Return the fish in a quieter piece of water, holding it upright facing upstream
The WUF is asking that restrained is used on the Usk too.